Department of Sindhi, University of Mumbai was established on 15th June, 1974.Mr. Ram Panjwani was the first person, worked as Reader & Head, until 19th November, 1976. After his retirement, the Department remained Headless and on 3rd March, 1981, Dr. A.G. Mirchandani took charge, as it's second Reader & Head. He worked until 20th April, 1985. Later on, Dr. N.J. Paryani joined the Department of Sindhi as a Lecturer, on 8th August, 1985, who was subsequently appointed as a Reader on 13th September, 1990. He remained Reader & Head, till his retirement on 30th September, 1992. Subsequent to that, Dr. Baldev B. Matlani was appointed as a Lecturer (Senior Scale) on 15th February, 1994 and became Head in the Department on 13th April, 1994. Immediately after that on 1st September, 1994, Dr. Baldev B. Matlani was appointed as a Reader by the Selection Committee, on 1st September, 1994. Thereafter Dr. Baldev B. Matlani got Reader's Scale through Career Advancement Scheme with retrospective date, i.e. 1st June, 1994 and subsequently promoted to the post of Professor through Career Advancement with effect from 1st September, 2002. Dr. Manoharlal B. Matlani was appointed as a Lecturer in Sindhi, on 27th November, 1996 and became Head of Sindhi Department on 6th July, 2001 by rotation and completed his term as Head, on 13th June, 2005. Thereafter once again Dr. Baldev B. Matlani has been given charge as Head, Department of Sindhi.
The Department of Sindhi is responsible for imparting education upto M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D., Certificate Course in Sindhi, Diploma in Sindhi and Advanced Diploma in Sindhi. It arranges different educative Symposiums and Seminars too. It also encourages research and constructive work in the field of Sindhi literature.
The details of students, studying at the Department of Sindhi, in various courses for the last three years is mentioned below :
Certificate Course in Sindhi
The Department started publications of most worthy books since 1997, and published 12 books till today. The very first book published by the Department,
'Fun-e-Tahqiq ain un ja Usool' of Dr. Baldev B. Matlani, bagged Sahitya Akademi Translation Prize in the year 2000, while Dr. Manoharlal B. Matlani was given Merit Award from National Council for Promotion of Sindhi Language (NCPSL), Ministry of HRD, Govt. of India, on his book 'Gobind Malhi - Shakhs ain Adeeb' in the year 2004, published by the Department.
The Department of Sindhi arranged 11 national seminars and 7 international seminars on various research-based subjects, so that our students may take benefit of the presence of most renowned and world fame scholars of Sindhi language & literature.
The Department is taking keen interest to cope up with the day to day challenges and with this objective, in order to teach Sindhi language to all those matured students, who want to learn Sindhi Language, living in Mumbai; the Department started new courses of 'Certificate Course in Sindhi', 'Diploma in Sindhi' & 'Advanced Diploma in Sindhi', in the year 1998, 1999, 2002 respectively.
On 20th August, 2004, the Department invited a delegation of British students, comprising Kavita Gogna (Burmingham), Kirti Sharma & Neeru Sharma (Nodtingham), Poonam Chopra (Slough), Venishia Ansal (Oxford), Luiza Allexandraseue (Romania), Billiana Gernich (Chrosia) and Ikatirina Tulipina (Russia), under leadership of Mr. Ved Mishra, Surrey, United Kingdom on 20th August, 2004 and arranged a lecture on 'Teaching of Hindi Language' by Dr. Ramji Tiwari. The delegation was overwhelming happy with the environment at the department and published their remarks in 'Purvai' July-September, 2004 magazine of London, England.
Dr. Baldev B. Matlani, Professor at Department of Sindhi was invited by Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, USA, to represent Sindhi language at 'Conference on Indian Literature', held at New York, on 23rd-25th September, 2003. It was very first time that such a linguistic conference was arranged outside India, to promote Indian languages on foreign soil. Hence Dr. Matlani participated in that Conference, and delivered speeches on 'Current Trends in Indian Literature, with special reference to Sindhi Language' and 'Modern Indian Literature and their Common Characteristics'. This conference was inaugurated at the hands of Mr. Atal Bihari Vajpaye, the then Prime Minister of India, and was presided by Mr. Yashwant Sinha, the then Union Minister for External Affairs, Govt. of India. Dr. Baldev B. Matlani was invited by Sindhi Association of Southern California also, where he delivered a lecture on 'Evolution of Sindhi Language' at Norwalk, California, USA, on 5th October, 2003.
Dr. Baldev B. Matlani, Professor at Department of Sindhi, was invited by Sindhi Association of United Kingdom, London, specifically to take the responsibility of Master of Ceremony at XI International Sindhi Sammelan, on 23rd to 25th July, 2004. This Sammelan was being organized under the auspices of Alliance of Sindhi Associations of America, in co-operation of London host Raj Daswani and others. Dr. Matlani, not only did compare all the sessions of this three day Sammelan, but delivered a lecture on 'Preservation of Sindhi Language' to the specifically called Youth Session and shared the dais with Srichand Hinduja and some other speakers.
Dr. Baldev Matlani was invited by World Sindhi Congress, London, to present a Paper on 'Revival of Secular Traditions of Sindhi Culture', at their 16th International Conference on Sindh, held at London, on 31st July, 2004.
Help Desk : Contact Address : Department of Sindhi, University of Mumbai, Vidyanagari Campus, Santacruz (East), Mumbai-400 098
Telephone : 2652 63388
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Books available at Jawaharlal Nehru Library, and Departmental Library for Ready Reference also.
The Department published following books :
1) 'Fun-e-Tahqiq ain un ja Usool' (Art of Research and its Principles) Demi Size130 pages, Translated in Sindhi by Dr. Baldev B. Matlani from Urdu, in August, 1997
2) 'Sindhi Lok Adab' (Sindhi Folk Literature) Demi Size 106 pages, Compiled by Dr. Baldev B. Matlani, in November,1998, containing Papers presented at an International Seminar, organized by Department. of Sindhi.
3) 'Sindhi Medieval Literature' (English) Demi Size 48 pages, by Dr. Baldev. B. Matlani, in Nov.1998, based on a lecture delivered at a function, organized by Sindhi Academy Delhi on invitation from Delhi Sindhi Academy, Government of India.
4) 'Sindhi Kahani' (Sindhi Short Story) Demi Size 104 pages, Compiled by Dr. Manoharlal B. Matlani , in August, 2000 containing Papers presented at a Seminar organised by the Department of Sindhi,.University of Mumbai, in December,1998.
5) 'Sindhi Boli-a-ja Hazar Sal' (Millenium of Sindhi Language) Demi Size, 116 pages, Compiled by Dr. Manoharlal B.Matlani, in 2000, Containing Papers presented at a Seminar, organized by the Department of Sindhi,University of Mumbai, in February 2000.
6) 'Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai' Demi Size 112 pages Compiled by Dr. Manoharlal B. Matlani , in Nov. 2001, containing papers presented at an International Seminar, organized by the Department.
7) 'Gobind Malhi - Shakhs ain Adeeb (Gobind Malhi -Person & Writer' Demi Size 536 pages, by Dr. Manoharlal B. Matlani, in Dec. 2002, containing research thesis, approved by University of Mumbai, for the degree of Ph.D.
8) 'Assasi Sindhi Shairi' (Classical Sindhi Poetry' Demi Size 120 pages, Compiled by Dr. Manoharlal B. Matlani, in Dec. 2002, collection of research papers, presented at a National Seminar.
9) 'Shah ain Sachal Jo Taqabuli Abhyas' (Comparative Study of Shah and Sachal' Demi Size 304 pages, by Dr. Baldev B.Matlani, in Nov. 2003, containing research thesis, approved by University of Mumbai, for the degree of Ph.D.
10) 'Bartaanvi Dour Mein Sindhi Adab' (Sindhi Prose in British Period) Demi size, 112 pages, Compiled by Dr. Manoharlal B.Matlani, in Nov. 2003, collection of research papers, presented at a National Seminar.
11) 'Agu Na Ditho Kadaheen' (Never Seen Before), Demi Size 336 pages, by Dr. Baldev B. Matlani, in March, 2004, a Travelogue
M.A. (Syllabus of the M.A. Course : SINDHI M.A. Part - I Semester I & II (2012-2013 onwards)),
Certificate Course in Sindhi,
Diploma in Sindhi,
Advanced Diploma in Sindhi
M.A. Part I - Rs. 2406/-M.A. Part II - Rs. 1581/-M.Phil - Rs. 2806/-Ph.D. - Rs. 2906/-Certificate Course - Rs. 300/-Diploma in Sindhi - Rs. 440/-Advanced Diploma in Sindhi - Rs. 550/-
On merit, as per the rules
Research Summary : 1999-2000 to 2007-2008
- Vandana Ramwani Research done at Ph.D.
- Jagdish Lachhani Research done at Ph.D.
- Purnima Belani Research done at Ph.D.
- Bhojraj Lakhwani Research done at Ph.D.
Research Projects : - Vandana Ramwani has successfully completed her research on 'Sami Hik Vedanti Shair' (Sami - A Vedantic Poet) in August, 2000, for the degree of Ph.D.
- Jagdish Lachhani has successfully completed his research on 'Bharat Je Sindhi Shair Mein Virhange Ji Tasveer' (Portrayal of Partition in Indian Sindhi Poetry) in June, 2001, for the degree of Ph.D.
- Purnima Belani has successfully completed her research on 'Sindhi Lafzan Jo Tarikhi Abhyas' (Historical Study of Sindhi Vocabulary' in August, 2002, for the degree of Ph.D. - BhojrajLakhwani
Working Papers/Research : - Presently Ram Jawhrani is doing his Ph.D. research Papers
(recent)on 'Ram Panjwani - Shakhs ain Kalakar' (Ram Panjwani - A Person and Artist)
Dr. Baldev B. Matlani, Head, Department of Sindhi, was invited by Sindhi Association of North America, at its 22nd Annual Convention on 30th July, 2006, held at Toronto, Canada. Dr. Matlani presented a paper on 'Preservation and Promotion of Sindhi Language in India'. The paper was highly applauded by the global audience.
Dr. B.B. Matlani was again invited by Sahitya Akademi, Madya Pradesh Sanskriti Parisad, Bhopal to present a paper on 'Allama Iqbal Ke Kalam Mein Bharatya Mahapurush' in Urdu language, at a national seminar, held at Indore, on 8th September, 2006.
This is a sesqui-centennial year of '1857 Revolt', hence a national seminar was organized by Central Hindi Institute, Agra, on its impact on Indian languages, which was held at Mumbai, on 19th -21st Dec., 2006. Dr. B.B. Matlani was invited to represent Sindhi language by presenting a paper on '1857 Revolt and its Impact on Sindhi language'.
During the sesqui-centennial celebrations of University of Mumbai, Department of Sindhi, organized a grand International Seminar of 'Relevance of Sindhyat in Modern Times', on March 6th , 2007, at Marathi Bhasha Bhavan, Vidyanagari Campus. The seminar was inaugurated by Hon'ble Dr. Vijay Khole, Vice-Chancellor, University of Mumbai, in association of Pro-Vice Chancellor, Dr. A.D. Sawant and Dr. Jayant Dighe, Registrar. Renowned Advocate and Former Law Minister of India, Mr. Ram Jethmalani graced the seminar as a Chief Guest, while Srichand Hinduja (London), Ram Buxani (Dubai), Dr. L.H. Hiranandani, Niranjan Hiranandani, Mazharul Haq Siddiqui, Vice-Chancellor, University of Sindh, Hyderabad (Pakistan), Amar Jaleel, former Vice-Chancellor, Allama Iqbal Open University, Islamabad (Pakistan), Chandru Raheja, Gobind Daryanani, Kishu Mansukhani and Anil Harish graced the inaugural function, as Guests of Honour.
Five Papers 'Sindhu Civilisatrion - Its application for 21st Century', 'Sindhis - God's Gift to Global Economy - Reflection', 'Sindhis' Faith in Sufism and Universal Peace', 'A Sindhi-Free from Partition's Communal Dogma' and 'Sindhis' Hardwork and their Foreign Expeditions' were presented by Mr. Srichand Hinduja (London), Dr. Ram Buxani (Dubai), Mr. Mazharul Haq Siddiqui (Sindh), Amar Jaleel (Sindh) and Dr. Baldev B. Matlani (Mumbai) respectively Dr. L.H. Hiranandani and Mr. Ranjit Butani, Chief Editor, Quarterly 'Sindhishaan' presided over, these papers in two different sessions. In the evening, a 'Hi-Tea Party' was given to all the delegates at the lawns of Marathi Bhasha Bhavan. Hence, all the participants had taken sweet memories of seminar, with them.
Dr. Baldev B. Matlani, was invited by Culture House of Iran, Mumbai, at their national seminar on 'Linguistic & Literary Influence of Persian on Indian Languages' on 17th -19th March, 2007 at Anjuman-e-Islam School, Mumbai. Dr. Matlani presented his paper on 'Influence of Persian on Sindhi Language and Literature, as Dr. Matlani's paper was based on historical facts, hence it was highly appreciated by the audience.
National Seminars organized by Department of Sindhi
1. "Sufism in Sindhi Poetry" on 20th March, 1994
2. "Growth of Sindhi Language" on 18th May, 1994
3. "Development of Sindhi Language upto 1947" on 10th March, 1995
4. "Development of Sindhi Literature in India after Independence' (Part I), on 21st November, 1995
5. "Development of Sindhi Literature in India after Independence" (Part II), on 8th March, 1996
6. "Sindhyat in Sindhi Literature" on 27th January, 1997
7. "Millenium of Sindhi Language" on 21st February, 2000
8. "Classical Sindhi Poetry" on 21st March, 20029. "Sindhi Prose in British Period" on 29th January, 2003
International Seminars organized by Department of Sindhi
1."Sindhi Folk Literature" on 2nd December, 1997
2. "Sindhi Short Story" on 4th December, 1998
3. "Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai - A Mystic Poet" on 9th January, 2001
4. "Social Role of Sindhi Literature" on 21st March, 2004
5. "Origin & Evolution of Sindhi Language' on 1st March, 2005
6. 'Media & Sindhi Language' on 1st March, 2006
7. 'Relevance of Sidhyat in Morden Time, on 6th March, 2007
8.'Bombay Presidency, Sindh and Sindhis,' on 11th March, 2008
| Name : Dr. BALDEV B. MATLANI |
Designation : Professor & Head
Office Address: Department of Sindhi, University of Mumbai, Vidyanagari Campus, Santa Cruz (East), Mumbai-400 098
Tel. No. : + 91 - 22 - 2678 8738
E-mail : email@example.com
Name : Dr. Manoharlal B. Matlani
Designation : Lecturer (Sr. Scale)
1) Mr. Shrikant A. Monde, Typist-Clerk
2) Mr. Rajendra A. Kadam, Peon